This hummus recipe is a staple at our house. I make it once or twice every week. We do not eat gluten, and very little processed food, so we LOVE this dip with cut up carrots, celery, bell peppers, cucumbers and other vegetables.
The consistency and flavor is beautiful. Even friends who like a good burger or junk food enjoy our vegetables and hummus – they must be telling us the truth, because it disappears quickly!
- 1 Cup Dried Organic Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas)
- 1/3 Cup Organic Raw Tahini
- 6 TB Organic Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Olive Oil
- 1-2 Cloves Raw Garlic
- 1 -3 Tsp Organic Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Medium Lemon
- Organic Almond Milk
- Kosher or Sea Salt
- Optional: roasted red peppers or roasted jalapenos
Step 1: Prepare Dried Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- Soak overnight in two cups of water.
- Rinse and drain.
- Put in saucepan with 3-4 cups water, 2 tablespoons of salt, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and a few shakes of cayenne pepper.
- Bring to boil, and boil for 30-50 minutes, until beans don’t crunch when you bite down on them.
Step 2: Make Hummus
- Put chickpeas, tahini, 3 tablespoons olive oil, peeled garlic clove (start with 1 – you can add the second one later if needed), 1 teaspoon cayenne, and juice of half a lemon into blender.
- Fill blender with almond milk until it barely covers ingredients, and blend.
- Continue to add a little almond milk at a time until mixture blends without the machine getting stuck. Don’t over-blend or it will get sticky.
- Add salt and adjust other ingredients to your taste.
- Enjoy this Hummus with your favorite snack!
2011-2014 Transfer of Health, Tiffany Youngren
Previous Recipe: Preparing Simple Quinoa
; Next Recipe: Roasted Broccoli
Tell us how you like this hummus recipe:
Did you try this hummus recipe? Please comment below! What did you dip in it?